Tuesday, October 2, 2012

This I Believe


As I was scrolling through the website, I wanted to find something I could connect with.  I came across a this I believe speech called “Love is Stronger Than Death.”  This is done by an older woman who lost her husband.  The part that caught my eye was part of the summary that said, “Common objects can often evoke powerful memories.”  I find that this statement is very true.

            Even after someone is gone, things that were once theirs can sometimes make it seem like that person is still around because it was once a part of them.  Sometimes it is amazing how much you can remember about an event or person just by seeing or feeling an object.  It works just about the same way with scents. 

            As I listened to this speech, I was holding back tears.  Her words really touched me.  I could feel her pain and sadness as well as the comfort the shirt of her husband brought her.  I could see the beautiful day she referred to as the last day that he wore that shirt.  As she described the way the shirt had smelled of sunshine and fresh air, I began to smell the sunshine and fresh air or at least how I felt the way they smelled.  Opal Ruth Prater did a very good job with her this I believe speech.  She made everything so detailed.  You could picture every moment she mentioned and feel every feeling that she felt or described.

            She began to talk about when she heard someone say “I loved him” and how she did not quite understand how you could get to where your love for someone is past tense.  This is a very good point.  I feel that once you really love someone, you will always love them in some way or another.  My grandpa passed away almost three years ago and I still love him and always will.  I love how she touched me on the inside and how I can connect with her on a similar level.

No comments:

Post a Comment